Williford Run Spring
Summary of Features
- Scale - 3rd magnitude (est.)
- Scenery - excellent
- How Pristine? - completely pristine
- Swimming - no
- Protection - excellent
- Crowds - none
- Access - fair, by canoe and wading
- Facilities - none
- Safety - good
- Scuba - no
- Cost - free
Off State Road 20 about seven miles west of where it intersects withU.S. 231 north of Panama City. Put canoe in where SR20 crosses EconfinaCreek and paddle about ¾ mile upstream past Pitt Spring and Sylvian(or Sullivan) Spring run on the left. The spring is near the mouthof the more southerly Williford Spring run on the south/left side.
For maps, latitude/longitude data, driving directions, satellite imagery,and topographic representations as well as weather conditions at this spring,go to Greg Johnson's informative "Florida Springs Database" web site atthe following address: http://www.ThisWaytothe.Net/springs/floridasprings.htm#Florida
The spring is a small but strong flow from the base of a dramatic (forFlorida) limestone bluff. The bluff is approximately 30 feet high,and waters issues from a limestone cavity/grotto. The water is clearand only a few inches deep. The spring forms a curving 200-foot run15 feet wide, about 3 inches deep, and with a sandy bottom and many obstructions.
- Land around the spring is owned by the Northwest Florida Water ManagementDistrict.
- There is no apparent use of the spring, despite its being very near a ropeswing and the popular Williford Spring.
- The spring run is not navigable and must be waded.
This is a lovely spring and a surprising find in that is it not recordedin any literature or list the authors have seen despite it proximity toso many other well-known springs.
- Walsingham Spring
- Unnamed Econfina Creek-bed Spring
- Glowing Spring
- Washington Blue Spring Group
- Twin-Run Grotto Springs Group
- WillifordRun Spring
- Gainer Springs Group
- McCormick Springs Group
- Pitt Spring
- Sylvian (or Sullivan) Spring
- Ponce de Leon Springs
- Vortex Spring
- Morrison Spring
Other Nearby Natural Features
- Pitt Spring Recreation Area
- St. Andrews State Recreation Area
- Falling Waters State Recreation Area