Unnamed Spring above Gainer
Summary of Features
- Scale—3rd magnitude (estimated)
- How Pristine?—fence, otherwise completely unspoiled
- Access—difficult, canoe only
Off State Road 20 about seven miles west of where it intersects withU.S. 231 north of Panama City. Put canoe in on right where SR20 crossesEconfina Creek and paddle 1/3 mile downstream to small mouth of springrun on the right (west side). The spring is perhaps 150 yards above GainerSprings.
For maps, latitude/longitude data, driving directions, satellite imagery,and topographic representations as well as weather conditions at this spring,go to Greg Johnson's informative "Florida Springs Database" web site atthe following address: http://www.ThisWaytothe.Net/springs/floridasprings.htm#Florida
A clear stream flowing into the river indicates the spring. When visitedby JF in August 2000, the run was canopied with branches and shrubs, andits run was blocked by branches and partially dammed. The run is about100 feet long and eight feet wide, and angles back upriver, parallelingEconfina Creek. The land around the spring is dense forest and swampy.The spring pool is circular and about 22 feet in diameter. There was oneclear vent that appeared to be 8 feet below the surface on date of visit,which was a time of low water. The bottom was muddy and covered with fallenbranches.
Note: This spring is not described in Springs of Florida (Rosenauet al., 1977) or in any other publication the authors have found.
- About halfway up the run is the remnant of a chain-link fence strungover the run to prevent access to the spring. A gap in the fence allowedaccess to the vent. The area was not posted.
- Across the highway from Pitt Spring and nearly hidden in a low areanear the bridge is a canoe/kayak rental facility that operates throughoutthe warm months. In late fall and in winter canoes may be rented by appointment.
It felt a bit creepy pushing back the branches and practically portinginto the spring, but the area was not posted so JF did it.
- Walsingham Spring
- Unnamed Econfina Creek-bed Spring
- Glowing Spring
- Washington Blue Spring Group
- Twin-Run Grotto Springs Group
- WillifordRun Spring
- Gainer Springs Group
- McCormick Springs Group
- Pitt Spring
- Sylvian (or Sullivan) Spring
- Ponce de Leon Springs
- Vortex Spring
- Morrison Spring
Other Nearby Natural Features
- Pitt Spring Recreation Area
- St. Andrews State Recreation Area
- Falling Waters State Recreation Area