Summary of Features
- Scenery - very good
- How Pristine? - in developed subdivision, retaining wall around much
- of spring, area partly cleared in park setting
- Swimming - outstanding
- Protection - unknown
- Crowds - heavy on warm days
- Access - priva
- Access - privat
From Interstate north of Orlando, exit west onto State Road 434 and go a perhaps half a mile to the entrance to "The Springs" subdivision. The spring is along one of the main roads in the subdivision near the clubhouse.
The spring forms a small circular pool that opens directly into a larger oval-shaped basin. The small pool is on the south side, is about 35 feet in diameter and appears to be nearly 20 feet deep. Water flows from an oblong limestone opening (8 feet wide) and creates a slick on the surface that is about three feet wide. The water is clear, and a lot of sub-surface limestone was visible on date of visit in October 2001.
The spring pool is mostly surrounded by a stone and concrete wall that extends eight feet above the surface. There is an opening in the wall on one side that serves as a dive/observation platform. The larger pool is about 300 by 200 feet and has a sandy beach directly across from the spring on the north side. Land rises up on all sides of the pools to a height of perhaps 25 feet. Water flows from the large pool to the west and the little Wekiva River and forms an attractive creek.
Private - use only by residents of the subdivision and their guests. Sanlando and Starbuck Springs appear to be used for swimming and for water extraction.
Misrepresenting his intent as being a potential home-buyer in the subdivision, JF was given a quick tour of the area by a realtor and was able to see and inspect this spring. The things one does in the name of springs exploration--mea culpa.
The shape/image of the two connected pools is somewhat like that of a snowman, who is not only missing his middle section, but who has a pinhead.
According to a 1999 flyer from THE SPRINGS business office (407-862-3881), the subdivision encompasses 400 acres and has 880 living units, 20 "villages", a recreation area, health spas, recquet clue, basketball court, recreational vehicle compound, stable facility, clubhouse, and 24-hour security, making it "one of the most beautiful and safest communities in Seminole County." The flyer also includes the following history of development at the site, derived from A History of Altamonte Springs by Jerrell Schofner:
The spring which the SPRINGS community is built around, is Sanlando Spring. This was originally called Hoosier Spring and was renamed in 1926. At this time, Sanlando Spring was the property of Mr. Frank Haithcox, a land developer, who in April of 1926 built a dam on the Little Wekiva River in order to raise the water level of the spring. He landscaped the surrounding area with tropical plants, and added an Olympic-size swimming pool and bathhouse to the area. Simultaneously, ground was broken for a fifty-room hotel and Sanlando Spring became the playground of Central Florida. The area we now refer to, as the recreation area was known as Sanlando Tropical Park.
After the conclusion of the great depression, Moses Overstreet reposessed Sanlando Tropical Park. Overstreet added about 10,000 azaleas along with special aquatic programs featuring prominent personalities to the park. In 1944, Mr. Overstreet purchased Palm Springs with plans to add it to Sanlando Tropical Park. He declared that his "most complete facility" would be his contribution to the post war development of Florida.
In 1950, Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Robinson purchased Sanlando Tropical Park. The Robinson's [sic] improved and expanded the park to include a dive platform with diving board and water slide. For the next twenty years, Sanlando Tropical Pack was open to the public and was a popular recreational spot for Central Floridians.
With great disappointment it was announced in 1970 that the Sanlando Tropical Park was opening to the public for the last time. It has been acquired by Mr. Early Downs and LNC Land Sales to be developed into an exclusive residential development and to be known as THE SPRINGS. Access to the new development was through a gate opening on S.R. 434. In 1971, construction of THE SPRINGS Community began.
- Palm Spring
- Starbuck Spring
- Apopka Spring
- Volusia Blue Spring
- Camp La No Che Spring
- Clifton Spring
- Gemini Springs
- Health Spring
- Messant Spring
- Miami Spring
- Rock Spring
- Wekiwa Sprin
- Wekiwa Spring
Other Nearby Natural Features
- Wekiwa Springs State Park
- Rock Springs Run State Preserve
- Blue Spring State Park
- Hontoon Island State Park
- Ocala National Fores
- Ocala National Forest