Piney Woods Spring
Summary of Features
- Scale - 4th magnitude (estimated)
- Scenery - fair
- How Pristine? - flow blocked, undergoing restoration
- Swimming - no
- Protection - good
- Crowds - none
- Access - none, private property
Near Holmes Creek north of Vernon. From the main intersectionin Vernon, drive north on State Road 79 for about three miles. Atold entrance to Cypress Springs, turn right onto dirt road. Springis on private property to the left of the road.
For maps, latitude/longitude data, driving directions, satellite imagery,and topographic representations as well as weather conditions at this spring,go to Greg Johnson's informative "Florida Springs Database" web site atthe following address: http://www.ThisWaytothe.Net/springs/floridasprings.htm#Florida
The spring forms a 60-foot diameter pool in an area of lush secondaryvegetation. The pool is about 10 feet deep, and the water was fairlyclear on date of visit in May 2002. Springflow was a trickle dueto the stopping up of the spring with manmade debris such as building materialsand sealant. The spring's tradition run is about a half-mile in length,and it joined the spring pool of Cypress Spring. However, a bermbuilt around Cypress spring diverts the spring flow to the far side ofCypress Spring and through a pipe into the Cypress run below the spring.
- The spring is on private property; the authors visited the spring withan escort who had permission of the owner.
- There is no current use of the spring.
- In summer 2002, divers others removed much of the debris that had beenillegally dumped into the spring. The materials appear to have beenpurposely designed to block or stop the flow of the spring. Flowincreased from the spring when the materials were removed and the diameterof the pool increased from 30 feet to about 60 feet. There are futureplans to remove more of the unnatural material from the spring.
- Jackson Spring
- Ponce de Leon Springs
- Vortex Spring
- Cypress Spring
- Beckton Spring
- Hightower Springs
- Brunson Landing Springs
- Shellcracker Springs
- Clemmons Spring
- Jack Paul Spring
- Other Holmes Creek Springs
- Morrison Spring
Other Nearby Natural Features
- St. Andrews State Recreation Area
- Falling Waters State Recreation Area