Summary of Features
- Scale - 3rd magnitude (estimated)
- Scenery - poor
- How Pristine? - grossly polluted, adjacent to large buildings
- Swimming - no
- Protection - poor
- Crowds - small
- Access - boat only
- Safety - unhealthy
- Scuba - not recommended
- Cost - free
Located adjacent to an apartment/condominium complex near the eastern end of the Hunter Spring run in Crystal River—see map.
For maps, latitude/longitude data, driving directions, satellite imagery, and topographic representations as well as weather conditions at this spring, go to Greg Johnson's informative "Florida Springs Database" web site at the following address: http://www.ThisWaytothe.Net/springs/floridasprings.htm#Florida
The spring forms a circular pool about 60 feet in diameter that opens directly into the Hunter Spring Run from the east side. The depth of the pool could not be determined, as visibility was only about 6 inches. There was no boil on the surface. Water in the spring and surrounding run was a bright and unnatural green, and the water had an unpleasant smell when visited in the late afternoon in May 2001. There is a beach area on the east side of the pool, and a plastic tube/pipe is strung across the mouth of the pool to prevent boat access from the Hunter Spring Run. A pole near the spring has a sign calling it Jurassic Spring, with a small plastic T-Rex on top.
- The spring is adjacent to an apartment or condominium complex, and access is restricted to residents.
- The spring is or was apparently used for swimming, although the water was so disgusting on date of visit that it is difficult to believe anyone would ever venture into it.
Jurassic is the most polluted- and unpleasant-looking spring the authors have ever visited, which is saying a lot. In the backwater of the Hunter Spring run, the spring is not adequately flushed out by the tide. One of the big, floating, plant-tearing machines had been working in the vicinity earlier in the day, which may explain the fluorescent green color of the water. Water that got onto JF’s hands while he was paddling left a burning sensation on his skin.
- Other Crystal River/King’s Bay Springs (Artesian, Catfish, Gator [or Gator Hole], Grand Canyon, Hunter, Idiot’s Delight, Independence, King’s, Little Hidden, Mullet’s Gullet, Three Sisters, Unnamed Banana Island Springs, Unnamed Spring Boils)
- Homosassa Springs Group
- Chassahowitzka Springs Group
- Rainbow Springs Group
Other Nearby Natural Features
- Rainbow Springs State Park
- Crystal River National Wildlife Refuge
- Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge
- Withlacoochie State Forest