Summary of Features
- Scale - 2nd magnitude (estimated)
- Scenery - excellent
- How Pristine? - exotics in water, otherwise fairly pristine
- Swimming - no
- Protection - very good/private
- Crowds - none
- Access - only to view
- Facilities - excellent nearby
- Safety - very good
- Scuba - no
- Cost - $10
Address: 7450 NE 60th St, High Springs, FL 32643
From High Springs, drive south on U.S. 27/41 about 1 mile. Turn west (right) onto State Road 340 (Poe Springs Road) and drive about five miles to entrance to Blue Springs Campground turnoff (look for sign). Follow another two miles to Blue Springs. From parking area, walk east along dirt path/road to Johnson Spring, a short distance beyond Naked Spring.
The spring pool is a low, swampy area of floodplain forest. Viewed from the edge of the spring, a blue area could be seen indicating the vent. The spring pool was somewhat indeterminate and difficult to distinguish from the surrounding swamp. It appeared to be egg-shaped and approximately 20 feet wide and about 60 feet long. The spring creates a run that, according to Rosenau et al. (1977, p. 120) flows directly into the Santa Fe River above the run from Blue Springs. The authors have not seen this run from the river and have only viewed the spring from the land.
- When last visited (1997), the spring had no apparent use.
- The spring is located in the Blue Springs Campground, which has camping facilities, picnic areas, restrooms, swimming, a camp store, and related facilities.
The spring photo is somewhat blurry because JF was given only five minutes by the campground owner to view and photograph Little Blue, Johnson, and Naked Springs without having to pay. Johnson was the last spring he saw, and he was out of breath from running and could not hold the camera steady.
- Poe Springs
- Darby Spring
- Hornsby Spring
- Santa Fe Spring
- Lily Springs
- Pickard Springs
- Rum Island Springs
- Blue Springs
- Little Blue Springs
- Naked Spring
- Ginnie Springs group
- Sawdust Spring
- Myrtle's Fissure
- 47 Boatramp Spring (or GIL1012974)
Other Nearby Natural Features
- Ichetucknee Springs State Park
- O'Leno State Park
- San Felasco Hammock State Preserve
- Devil's Millhopper State Geologic Site
- River Rise State Preserve
- Mike Roess Gold Head Branch State Park