Gator (or Gator Hole or Crystal or Magnolia) Springs
Summary of Features
- Scale - unknown
- Scenery - poor from surface, fine from underwater
- How Pristine? - in developed housing area
- Swimming - fair, fine snorkeling and skin-diving
- Protection - unknown
- Crowds - some scuba divers
- Access - good, boat only
- Faclities - none
- afety - very good
- Scuba - yes
- Cost - free
In a neighborhood in a natural inlet near Three Sisters and Idiots’Delight Springs. Gator Spring is in the NE corner of the inlet, near theshore and adjacent to the back yard of a house. The second spring (Magnolia)is smaller and located about 150 feet south of Gator Spring adjacent tothe undeveloped east bank near a cedar tree. See map.
For maps, latitude/longitude data, driving directions, satellite imagery,and topographic representations as well as weather conditions at this spring,go to Greg Johnson's informative "Florida Springs Database" web site atthe following address: http://www.ThisWaytothe.Net/springs/floridasprings.htm#Florida
Two springs are in a developed inlet that feeds the central part ofKing’s Bay on the east side of the bay. The spring forms a circularbowl that appeared to be 20 feet deep. In and near the center ofthe bowl were light spots suggesting points of clear flow and that arevegetation-free. There was no boil visible on the surface. This springappears to be what Rosenau et al (1977, p. 82) and DeLoach (1997, p. 111)refer to as Gator Hole. According to Rosenau, Gator Hole once hadan extensive cave system with rock spires, but it collapsed around 1963.
The second spring, which a resident called Magnolia Spring, is nextto the east bank not far from the main channel. The limestone bottomdrops away and out of sight to the spring, and a boil was visible on dateof visit in May 2001. Water was clearer over the spring than thesurrounding water.
The springs are explored by scuba divers, skin-divers, and snorkelers.
The authors did not explore and photograph the springs from underwater. As with Catfish Hole, Gator Spring was very difficult to photograph oreven to see clearly in the somewhat murky water.
- Other Crystal River/King’s Bay Springs (Artesian, Catfish, Grand Canyon,Hunter, Idiot’s Delight, Independence, Jurassic, King’s, Little Hidden,Mullet’s Gullet, Three Sisters, Unnamed Banana Island Springs, UnnamedSpring Boils)
- Homosassa Springs Group
- Chassahowitzka Springs Group
- Rainbow Springs Group
Other Nearby Natural Features
- Rainbow Springs State Park
- Crystal River National Wildlife Refuge
- Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge
- Withlacoochie State Forest