Summary of Features
- Scale - 3rd magnitude (estimated)
- Scenery - very good to fine
- How Pristine? - house above spring, otherwise very natural
- Swimming - no
- Protection - unknown
- Crowds - none
- Access - difficult, by water only
- Facilities - none
- Safety - fair
- Scuba - no
- Cost - free
On Holmes Creek north of Vernon. From center of Vernon, go 2-3 miles NE on State Road 277 to public boat ramp at Big Pine Landing. Put in boat and go perhaps (directions are imprecise because authors did not make notes) 1 mile downriver. Look for mouth of Clemmons Run on left (east) side of the river.
The spring forms a large oval pool that is about 300 feet long and 20-80 feet wide. Water in the pool is about 6 feet deep on average and is a milky blue and fairly clear. Several sand boils are visible in the pool; the largest are several feet across. Fish were observed in the pool on date of visit in May 2002, and the bottom was partly covered in vegetation. The bank rises steeply perhaps 45 feet above the pool on the east side. There is wooded peninsula on the west side of the pool, which is a floodplain for Holmes Creek to the west. The pool terminates in a run that is about 300 feet long. At the mouth of the run, the water is only a few inches deep and the run is about 8 feet wide.
There appears to be a small spring pool adjacent to the mouth of the run behind a mound of sand and vegetation. The pool is circular and was about 10 feet in diameter on date of visit. The authors did not make a close observation of this probable spring pool.
- The land east of the spring is private property; the authors visited the spring with an escort who had permission of the owner.
- It is possible to access the spring by canoe, foot, or kayak by going upthe shallow run. A canoe or kayak would likely have to be pulled much of the way, and this route of entry would be strenuous.
- There is no apparent use of the spring.
- Jackson Spring
- Ponce de Leon Springs
- Vortex Spring
- Cypress Spring
- Beckton Spring
- Hightower Springs
- Brunson Landing Springs
- Piney Woods Spring
- Shellcracker Springs
- Jack Paul Spring
- Other Holmes Creek Springs
- Morrison Spring
Other Nearby Natural Features
- St. Andrews State Recreation Area
- Falling Waters State Recreation Area