|Summary of Features|
Clemmons run, along Holmes Creek
On Holmes Creek north of Vernon. From center of Vernon, go 2-3miles NE on State Road 277 to public boat ramp at Big Pine Landing. Put in boat and go perhaps (directions are imprecise because authorsdid not make notes) 1 mile downriver. Look for mouth of ClemmonsRun on left (east) side of the river.
For maps, latitude/longitude data, driving directions, satellite imagery,and topographic representations as well as weather conditions at this spring,go to Greg Johnson's informative "Florida Springs Database" web site atthe following address: http://www.ThisWaytothe.Net/springs/floridasprings.htm#Florida
The spring forms a large oval pool that is about 300 feet long and20-80 feet wide. Water in the pool is about 6 feet deep on averageand is a milky blue and fairly clear. Several sand boils are visiblein the pool; the largest are several feet across. Fish were observedin the pool on date of visit in May 2002, and the bottom was partly coveredin vegetation. The bank rises steeply perhaps 45 feet above the poolon the east side. There is wooded peninsula on the west side of thepool, which is a floodplain for Holmes Creek to the west. The poolterminates in a run that is about 300 feet long. At the mouth ofthe run, the water is only a few inches deep and the run is about 8 feetwide.
There appears to be a small spring pool adjacent to the mouth of therun behind a mound of sand and vegetation. The pool is circular andwas about 10 feet in diameter on date of visit. The authors did notmake a close observation of this probable spring pool.
- The land east of the spring is private property; the authors visited thespring with an escort who had permission of the owner.
- It is possible to access the spring by canoe, foot, or kayak by going upthe shallow run. A canoe or kayak would likely have to be pulledmuch of the way, and this route of entry would be strenuous.
- There is no apparent use of the spring.
- Jackson Spring
- Ponce de Leon Springs
- Vortex Spring
- Cypress Spring
- Beckton Spring
- Hightower Springs
- Brunson Landing Springs
- Piney Woods Spring
- Shellcracker Springs
- Jack P au l Spring
- Other Holmes Creek Springs
- Morrison Spring
- St. Andrews State Recreat ion Area
- Falling Waters State Recreation Area