|Summary of Features|
Accessible via boat. From the center of Marianna on U.S. 90,go north on Jefferson Street (State Road 167—the same turn as for FloridaCavern State Park) and proceed about 1.5 miles to the bridge over the ChipolaRiver. Put in and go downstream about 3 miles. The spring is 300feet south of the point where the railroad bridge crosses the Chipola River,on the west side. GPS coordinates: N30.45.631; W85.13.027.
For maps, driving directions, satellite imagery, and topographicrepresentations as well as weather conditions at this spring, go to GregJohnson's informative "Florida Springs Database" web site at the followingaddress: http://www.ThisWaytothe.Net/springs/floridasprings.htm#Florida
The spring consists of several flowpoint that form a small alcove onthe west bank of the Chipola River. The alcove is semicircular andabout 20 feet in diameter. The main flow is from a limestone openingin the bottom of the alcove on the south side. The vent is about1 foot in diameter, four feet deep, created a pool within the alcove, andhad a visible boil. There appears to be a smaller flowpoint 1-2 feetfrom the main vent and nearer to the bank. Water flowed from thebase on north side of the bank/alcove in 3-4 seeps. The water fromthe spring was clear--noticeably clearer than the adjacent river water.
There is no apparent use of the spring.
An attractive little spring alcove.
- Blue Hole Spring
- Sandbag Spring
- Baltzell (or Bosel or Bozell) Springs group
- Unamed Grotto/Wastewater Spring
- Unnamed Chipola Riverbank Springs
- Dykes Spring
- Unnamed Spring Cascade
- Delightful Grotto Spring and Cascade
- Unnamed Rock Overhang Seep
- Unnamed 2-Tree/3-Trailer Seep
- Unnamed Possible Chipola Spring Runs (5)
- Unnamed Chipola West Bank Seeps
- Unnamed Limestone Boulders Spring
- Possible Spring run Near Highway 280 Bridge
- Merrit’s Mill Pond Springs (Jackson Blue, Shangri-La, Twin Caves, IndianWashtub, Gator)
- Spring Lake Springs (Black, Double, Gadsen [or Gadsden], Millpond, Springboard,Coffin)
Florida Caverns State Park
Three Rivers State Park
Falling Water State Park
Torreya State Park
Apalachicola Bluffs and Ravines Preserve